Age of Wonders: Planetfall is the new strategy game from Triumph Studios, creators of the critically acclaimed Age of Wonders series, bringing all the exciting tactical turn-based combat and in-depth empire building of its predecessors to space in an all-new, sci-fi setting.
Age of Wonders Planetfall Marauders Guide
After all the discussion concerning the intricacies of PvP and PvE diplomacy, it might be good to know there is a monster faction that is ALWAYS hostile which you can kill without any grievances or consequences.
These unaffiliated monsters and brigands are called “Marauders” and will put pressure on the player throughout the game. Their mechanics have evolved since AoW3 and of course Planetfall has a new set of monsters.
- Marauder armies become active after 5-10 turns. It is very important to scout the surroundings and know if you need to prepare for attack. Of course, the new scan-range helps give an early warning of movement in unexplored or fogged terrain.
- Marauders can be both opportunistic and suicidal, but there is some prioritization in their targets: First they prioritize Armies (Scouts), then Sector Bases and then Colonies
- When they first enter an area, they’ll pause, given you one turn before they attack.
- Marauders will park on resource nodes, denying income.
- Marauders will raze sector bases. This takes 3 turns so there is a possibility to stop them.
- Marauders taking over Colony Centers, plunge the settlement into anarchy. If the anarchy timer expires, the colony will be reduced to a camp.
- Marauder strength scales as the game progresses.
- Typical marauder units have two mutations, equipping them with mods of increasing power
- Also, marauder army composition changes during game. More and higher tier units will spawn.
- The overall threat level the timing these mutation event can be changed with the World Threat Level difficulty setting.
Marauder spawners are sector dominant structures. This means you need to clear these sites before you can exploit a sector. The planet surface is populated with spawners at the start of the map but new spawners to appear, through NPC quests and player operations. Spawner Combat maps vary per creature type and may include environmental hazards.
Here are some of the units that have been specifically designed to be marauder units and as guardians of landmarks or as Quest Targets. Note that as in you might see brigands from other faction s appear as marauders too; often in mixed stacks.
These enormous alien grasshoppers are a common plague on many Star Union planets. They are the scourge of fledging colonies.
These insects are known for their corrosive acid attacks and their death rattles, which cover everyone adjacent to these in a thick corrosive substance.
Silicon based wildlife, the Quartzite are born of volcanoes and deep caves. Their physiology allows them spew flaming lava or electrocute all those who approach them. They are a match for any armored divion. Some say they are created by terraforming activities.
Chelus and Octowhales
The Octowhales are scourge of the oceans. Their songs guide not only themselves but other creatures as well. The Chelus follow them into combat, knowing that the boats that threaten their waters can be used as food for their young.
These Androids used to be employed in the darker crevasses of the entertainment industry. After being set free, unspeakable memories haunted their synthetic minds. Many slipped into a life of violent crime.
There’s many more. Marauders, NPCs Factions, Hazard locationsl – you’ll be surprised how dangerous the worlds are in Planetfall.