In this guide I’m going to walk you through how to build a Githyanki Melee Warlock in Baldur’s Gate 3. Capable of Teleporting, Invisibility, and dealing Melee Damage.
Baldur’s Gate 3 Githyanki Melee Warlock Build
We know that the release is approaching, and many of us have already played a significant portion of the Early Access content. As we wait for the full game, I decided to explore some builds that I wouldn’t normally consider. In this guide, I’ll present a unique Warlock build featuring the Gith race.
Normally, Gith aren’t considered ideal for Warlocks due to their attribute bonuses in STR and INT, while Warlocks rely on CHA. However, this build takes a different approach by utilizing DEX for a Melee Warlock playstyle. Let’s start with our character creation attributes. Keep in mind that this build is designed for party play, and I’ve chosen the Urchin background for Sleight of Hand proficiency. The starting stats may seem unconventional, so I consider this an intermediate build. Here’s what we begin with:
Subclass: The Fiend
Skills: Intimidation, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand
STR – 10
DEX – 15
CON – 15
INT – 9
WIS – 12
CHA – 13
*Normally, stats should be kept at even numbers like 12, 14, 16, 18, or 20. However, we’ll have opportunities to improve these scores and bring them in line.
The Githyanki race grants us Medium Armor Proficiency immediately, increasing our AC.
Our first attribute increase will come from an ASI (Ability Score Increase), where we’ll raise our Dexterity to 17, granting us a +3 modifier.
The second attribute increase comes from Volo. We need to rescue him from the Goblin camp and have him pluck out our eye. He’ll provide us with a fake eye, increasing our CHA to 14 (+2).
The third and final attribute increase comes from Auntie Ethel. Lower her health below 15 and let her initiate a conversation where she offers you power. Accept the power and choose DEX. Consume the Power (Hair) she gives you, which will bring our DEX to 18 (+4).
With all three of these stat increases, our final attribute distribution at level 5 will look like this:
STR – 10 (+0)
DEX – 18 (+4)
CON – 15 (+2)
INT – 9 (-1)
WIS – 12 (+1)
CHA – 14 (+2)
This build also requires a few other things that we’ll acquire through the Warlock class itself, specifically the Warlock pacts. The pacts we’ll choose for this build are Devil’s Sight (since Gith lack darkvision), Fiendish Vigor (granting a free False Life spell without expending a spell slot), and One with Shadows (providing invisibility). Being a Githyanki also grants us two racial spells: Psionic Jump and Misty Step, each usable once per long rest.
Now, let’s move on to the spells. While these spells shouldn’t be relied upon for primary damage output, they serve as valuable utilities. Keep in mind that they can still deal damage if necessary.
Cantrips: Eldritch Blast, Friends
Spells: Hellish Rebuke, Burning Hands
*Dark One’s Blessing (Class Passive)
Eldritch Invocations: Devil’s Sight
Spells: Expeditious Retreat
Pact of the Chain
Replacement Spells: Expeditious Retreat changes to Misty Step
Cantrip: Chill Touch
Spells: Shatter/Cloud of Daggers
Feat: ASI DEX +2
Eldritch Invocations: Fiendish Vigor, One with Shadows
Spells: Vampiric Touch
Spell Replacement: Shatter/Cloud of Daggers becomes Fireball
Now let’s discuss gear, which is just as important as the spells and attributes. Itemization plays a significant role in the game, and there are various ways to approach it. Here’s how I’ve chosen to gear this build:
- Head: Leather Helmet (Ravaged Beach) > Metallic Helmet (Sunlit Wetlands) > Helmet of Grit (Dror’s Treasure) > Shadow of Menzoberranzan
- Chest: Light Armor (Class) > Scale Mail Armor (Ravaged Beach Church Enemy Loot) > Githyanki Half Plate (Gith Patrol) > Adamantine Scale (Grymforge Forge)
- Gloves: None > Metallic Gloves (Druid Grove Cart) > Gloves of Power (Druid Grove Fight)
- Boots: Light Boots (Class) > Metallic Boots (Enemy Loot) > The Speedy Lightfeet (Blighted Village) > Boots of Speed (Underdark – Myconid Colony) > Disintegrating Night Walkers (Grymforge – Nerre)
- Amulet: Moondrop Pendant (Owlbear Cave Selune Chest) > Amulet of Misty Step (Underdark – Myconid Colony)
- Ring 1: Ring of Color Spray (Harpy Nest) > Fetish of Callarduran SmoothHands (Underdark – Grymforge body being shoved in the water)
- Ring 2: None > Spurred Band (Spider Cave) > Crusher’s Ring (Goblin Camp) > (Optional Change) Ring of Absolute Force (Underdark – Grymforge)
- Main Hand: Dagger > Ritual Dagger (Goblin Camp) > Shortsword of First Blood (Underdark – body loot near Deep Gnomes)
- Offhand: Dagger > Dagger +1 (Blighted Village – meat near couple) > Ritual Dagger
- Ranged: Light Crossbow/Shortbow (Available almost anywhere) (Access to shooting Elemental Arrows)
By the end, you’ll have an interesting list of character feats and spells, including:
- Invisibility x4 (Class Spell, Ring, Invocation, Helm)
- Misty Step x4 (Class Spell, Race Spell, Amulet, Boots)
- Darkvision (24m range) for both magical and non-magical darkness
- Psionic Jump (Race Spell)
- Self-healing through Vampiric Touch
- 17 AC (Medium Armor Proficiency, Race Passive)
- Free False Life spell (cast at any time, Class Spell)
Keep in mind that all of this is subject to change with the full game release, but the overall concept should remain similar. If you’ve never tried the Warlock class or playing as a Githyanki, this could be a great opportunity to explore both. Who knows, you might just fall in love with Lae’zel!
You may also be interested in: