Helltaker is a free puzzle game with ten chapters and a difficult avoidance boss fight towards the end. It also features eight Steam achievements, all documented in the walkthrough below.
- Not all levels have to be completed; non-listed levels can be completely skipped by quitting to menu and continuing through “Chapter Select”.
- This game features a nasty boss fight at the very end of chapter IX. We added some tips to make it more manageable, but it still depends heavily on the player’s skill.
- This guide is focused on fastest completion rather than in-depth explaining the completion of each level. We skipped all achievement-less levels in order to finish it faster. If your objective is to enjoy the game, then avoid using this guide.
- Start the levels from “Chapter Select” menu.
Estimated Completion Time: 15 minutes, based on skill.
Other Helltaker Guides:
- Helltaker Complete Guide (+How to Win)
- Helltaker Secret Ending Guide
- Helltaker How to Unlock Artbook, Recipe and get OST!
- Helltaker Characters: Justice, Zdrada, Pandemonica and The Helltaker
Walkthrough & Achievement Guide
- Press Esc → Skip Puzzle
- Maybe I can serve YOU instead?
Romance a demon.
- ↓ ↓ ↓ → ↓ ↓ → ↑ ↑ → ↓ ↓ → ↑ ↑ → → ↓ ↓ → →
Disregard the key.
- Press L to take Life Advice and choose the second option:
- *Kill yourself*
Find some peace.
- Press Esc → Skip Puzzle
- Looking for angels.
- → ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ← ←
- No, thanks. But you can join my harem.
- I can offer coffee, turn based strategies and chocolate pancakes.
Survive the audience.
- → ↑ ↑ → → → → ↓ → → ← ↑ ↑ ↑ → → → → ↓ ↓ → → ↑ ↑ → ← ← ← ↑ ↑ ↑ ← ↑
Reach the gate.
Beat the Boss Fight.
This battle can be quite overwhelming if you’re not into avoidance games. Your objective is to avoid the boss’ attacks while running away from the spikes, and when the screen stops moving, you have to kick the chains on each side of the screen to progress through.
The boss counts with four phases, each one with increasing difficulty. However, you can get up to four hits before dying and there’s a checkpoint at the start of each wave, which makes things fairer.
- First phase is straightforward enough; simply stay near the middle and move away when needed. Once the screen stops scrolling, go ahead and kick the chains on each side to get through.
Boss won’t attack you during this part.
- Second phase raises the difficulty a bit. Stay ONE tile away from the sides to easily avoid most attacks. Unlike first wave, the boss will continue attacking you when the chains appear on each side of the screen, but the pattern is very basic and shouldn’t give you a problem when avoiding.
- Third phase is a bit harder but nothing too complex.
Simply stay near the middle again and move to the sides when you start to see many chains.
- Four phase is where the things get fun. It’s a smart idea to stay at the middle area and move only when needed. You’ll probably get hit once if you follow this advice. However, getting hit once it still better than dying trying to avoid side attacks.
Attack subphase is one of the hardest; we highly recommend learning the boss’ attack pattern and only attacking when it’s safe.
After all four phases have been beaten, you’ll unlock:
Beat the Boss.
- Go to the middle of the pentagram rug and reproduce the steps below:
- ↓ ↑ → ↑ ← ↓ ↓ ← ↑ ↓ → ↑
Make the steps.